New cooperation, support, sponsorship and agreements
CITIES WITHOUT HUNGER established a new cooperation with the Cargill Foundation to build a school garden in São Miguel Paulista, an impoverished district of São Paulo. The project was created at Centro de Ensino Unificado CEU’s (educational centre) site. This institution offers a broad range of activities to children such as English classes, free meals, recreational activities and sports. More than 650 students participate in cultivating the new garden.
The Cargill Foundation is concerned about healthy nutrition while promoting sustainable and responsible economic development to improve living standards and promote stable communities.
Visits to the project in August, September and October 2014
August, 22, 2014: Eliz Zancanaro, Fernanda Mendes de Freitas, Elaine Madeira Momberg – Colégio Mater Amabilis – Guarulhos/SP
August, 25, 2014: Kátia Reis, Denyse Barreto and Perla Steirensis – Fundação Cargill – São Paulo/SP
September, 18, 2014: Marcella Gomes Esteves and Joana França – Escola Santa Cruz – São Paulo/SP
Media coverage on the School Gardens Project
- Media did not contact the project.
Major donations in cash
- Fundação Cargill – already existing contract – USD 19,090– for August, September and October 2014
For the coming month we need resources in cash amounting to
- USD 48.00 – purchase of vegetable seedlings: Use of seedlings is intensive, as Brazil’s tropical climate allows us to plant every two months. (Styrofoam boxes each containing 288 vegetable seedlings | need: 10 boxes)
- USD 48.00 – purchase of protection screens: For protecting the beds from the sun and heavy rain. (20- by 10-meter screen | need: 1 screen)
- USD 105.00 – purchase of hoes: Necessary to make the furrows. (Price per unit: USD 7.00 | need: 15 hoes)
- USD 105.00 – purchase of digging blades: Necessary for laying out the beds. (Price per unit: USD 7.00 | need: 15 digging blades)
- USD 285.00 – purchase of irrigation hoses: To irrigate the schools’ vegetable gardens we need garden hoses. (30-meter garden hose – Price per unit: USD 19.00 | need: 15)
- USD 350.00 – purchase of gardening tool kits for children: To engage the children in the project kids’ tools are essential (Price per kit: USD 7.00 | need: 50 kits)
- USD 416.00 – purchase of organic compost: For fertilizing the beds. (30-kilo bags | need: 25 bags)
- USD 680.00 – purchase of a lawn mower: We need a lawn mower for the schools’ gardens, one that can be easily transported. (Price of a lawn mower: UDS 680.00 | need: 1 lawn mower)
- USD 3,325.00 – purchase of a Tobata micro tractor: We need a small and versatile diesel-oil manually operated tractor that can be easily transported from school to school. (Price of a micro tractor: UDS 3,325.00 | need: 1 micro tractor)
- Contribute with USD 28.00 to help buy seeds for the school gardens (4 packages, 250 grams each).