1. New cooperation, support, sponsorship and agreements
HORIZONTE FÉRTIL – CITIES WITHOUT HUNGER signed a cooperation agreement with HORIZONTE FÉRTIL. More on that in our next newsletter.
Instituto Elos – A new Cooperation has been established to implement the Community Gardens Project in Santos/SP.
2. Visits to the project in November and December 2014 and January 2015
November, 06, 2014: Manuela Santana – (CSA – Community Supported Agriculture) – Botucatu/SP
November, 08, 2014: Lisandra Cristina Moutinho – Caixa Econômica Federal/Microcredits – São Paulo/SP
November, 13, 2014: Nicdherdy Cornelia – University of Curaçao (UoC) – Curaçao/Caribbean
November, 15, 2014: Marlene Bezerra – Recife/PE
November, 17, 2014: Paula Garcia Serna – Towards the Human City – Barcelona/Spain
November, 24, 2014: Rafael Lino, Camila Brazão – Environmental management students USP/Leste – São Paulo/SP
January, 09, 2015: 09.01.2014: Thais Polydoro, Marina Engels, Clarrisa Müller – Instituto Elos – Santos/SP
3. Media coverage on the Community Gardens Project
Reports in Portuguese
- 15.11.2014: A GAZETA: Hortas transformam vidas
- 09.11.2014: TV UNESP – Programa Ecoidéias: Segurança Alimentar
- 26.1.2015: TV terraviva: Hortas comunitárias em São Paulo
For other news stories, access our channel on YouTube.
4. Major donations in cash
- There were none.
5. For the month to come we need resources in cash amounting to
- USD 48.00 – purchase of vegetable seedlings: Use of seedlings is intensive, as Brazil’s tropical climate allows us to plant every two months. (Styrofoam boxes each containing 288 vegetable seedlings | need: 10 boxes)
- USD 166.00 – purchase of rolls of electrical wire (6 mm): For the electrical connections of the irrigation systems. (100-meter rolls | need: 2 rolls)
- USD 347.00 – purchase of agricultural limestone: Agricultural limestone is used to correct soil acidity. (25-kilo bags | need: 25 bags)
- USD 832.00 – purchase of organic compost: Organic compost is used to fertilize the soil for growing vegetables. (30-kilo bags | need: 50 bags)
- USD 1,180.00 – purchase of irrigation hoses: One-inch hoses are the core of the irrigation system. (100-meter rolls of one-inch hose | need: 20 rolls)
- USD 1,495.00 – purchase of high-pressure irrigation pumps: Pumps are used to distribute water across the plot through the irrigation system. (Price for each irrigation pump: USD 747.50 | need: 2 irrigation pumps)
- You can contribute with USD 28.00 to buy seeds for the Community Gardens Project.