1. New cooperation, support, sponsorship and agreements
No new cooperation were established in this period.
2. Visits to the project in May, June and July 2014
June, 01, 2014: Matheus Cavaliere – Agência Publicidade Kanoa (Advertizing Agency)
June, 10, 2014:Pamela Addolorata – Bayer Brasil – Environment & Safety
June, 14, 2014: Daniel Morais Assunção – Associação ATADOS (Association that advocates for social rights)
June, 30, 2014:Archimedes Baccaro and his wife Samira Baccaro – Governor Rotary District 4430
3. Media coverage on the Community Gardens Project
- Radio report on the project on DEUTSCHE WELLE
- Watch the Community Gardens Project on program CAPITAL NATURAL # 35: agricultura urbana – Portuguese
The task of feeding a world population that should reach nine billion people is not easy and is almost entirely concentrated in rural areas, whereas consumers live in the cities. Is it possible for the city and its residents to share this task with the countryside? Should urban food production accumulate other functions other than feeding the population?
Program Natural Capital talked about this and other issues with two representatives of key urban agriculture-related organizations based in the city of São Paulo: the Coletivo Hortelões Urbanos, in central and more affluent areas of the city, and CITIES WIHOUT HUNGER, in the city’s outskirts.
For other news stories, access our channel on YouTube.
4. Major donations in cash
- Caixa Econômica Federal – already existing contract – USD 5,455.00 – for May, June, and July 2014
- Services delivered by CITIES WITHOUT HUNGER – USD 5,386.00 (gardening, presentations and Volunteers Day)
5. For the month to come we need resources in cash amounting to
- USD 48.00 – purchase of vegetable seedlings: Use of seedlings is intensive, as Brazil’s tropical climate allows us to plant every two months. (Styrofoam boxes each containing 288 vegetable seedlings | Price per box: USD: 4.80 | need: 10 boxes)
- USD 166.00 – purchase of rolls of electrical wire (6 mm): For the electrical connections of the irrigation systems. (100-meter rolls | Price per roll: USD: 83.00| need: 2 rolls)
- USD 347.00 – purchase of agricultural limestone: Agricultural limestone is used to correct soil acidity. (25-kilo bags | Price per bag: USD: 13.88 | need: 25 bags)
- USD 832.00 – purchase of organic compost: Organic compost is used to fertilize the soil for growing vegetables. (30-kilo bags | Price per bag: USD:16.64| need: 50 bags)
- USD 1,180.00 – purchase of irrigation hoses: One-inch hoses are the core of the irrigation system. (100-meter rolls of one-inch hose | Prize per roll: UDS 59.00 | need: 20 rolls)
- USD 1,360.00 – purchase of high-pressure irrigation pumps: Pumps are used to distribute water across the plot through the irrigation system. (Price for each irrigation pump: USD 680.00 | need: 2 irrigation pumps)
You can contribute with USD 28.00 to buy seeds (250-gram packages of seeds | need: 4 packages) for the Community Gardens Project.